Monday, September 26, 2011

Breaking News!

 
 

Sent to you by Sarah via Google Reader:

 
 

via HPL Central Library by HPL Central Library on 9/21/11

As of this morning, Overdrive titles are now compatible with Kindle!

For more info, see this post from Overdrive:
http://www.overdrive.com/News/OverDrive-and-Amazon-launch-Kindle-compatibility-with-Library-eBooks

For quick reference, here's the most important info - how to access:

Customers will check out the book just like before in Overdrive, choosing the Kindle Book option. To get the book, they will click "Get for Kindle," after checking it out with their library card. This will take them to their Amazon account, where they will log in. The book should be there waiting for them, just as if they had purchased a Kindle book. They can then send it to their Kindle or any Kindle app (iPhone, iPad, etc.).

I haven't tried this yet, but I will today. If I run into problems or find anything tricky, I'll update this post.

~Somer

EDIT: I just tried it, and for the most part it was incredibly easy! The only tricky part I ran into was once I sent it to my device, I didn't see it immediately. I had to click Archived Items, and once I did that I saw it in my list of books.

What surprised me most is that there are already holds on Kindle books!

One more tip:
You can't return books from the device, but you can do this from inside your Amazon account. Once you log in, you can choose "Your Digital Items" in the upper right corner. Under Kindle, choose Manage Your Kindle. You'll see a list of all your books. On the right side, there's a button that says "Actions." One of the options is "Return This Book."

 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment